Table of contents:
- Learn Spanish on Youtube: Our Top 3 -Youtube Channels
- Learn Spanish on Youtube: The Pros & Cons
- PRO: There’s everything you need on Youtube to learn Spanish!
- CONTRA: Learning a language ONLY on YouTube doesn’t work!
- PRO: Learning Spanish on YouTube is like traveling the world.
- CONTRA: We must disappoint you, but Youtube is not the real-world!
- Conclusion: Learn Spanish on YouTube?
Learn Spanish on Youtube: Our Top 3 -Youtube Channels
1. Butterfly SpanishFor more than seven years, Ana is offering her videos on her channel “Butterly Spanish.” She’s a very sympathetic and enthusiastic woman that teaches you a lot about the Spanish language. More than half a million people are watching her videos about vocabulary, grammar, and cultural aspects. She has an excellent sense of the typical problems almost every Spanish learner is struggling with. Her explanations are mostly in English and the videos are primarily for beginners and intermediate learners. On her webpage, you can donate and subscribe to her newsletter. Our opinion: “Butterfly Spanish” is a “must watch” for the serious Spanish-learner or if you want to repeat specific topics of Spanish grammar. The videos don’t cover more complicated themes.
2. Spanish Pod 101Spanish Pod 101 has more than 400.000 subscribers and offers a vast amount of free videos with an emphasis on vocabulary and conversation. They also give you some advice on how to improve your Spanish. All lessons are taught in English. You can sign up for a membership with even more high-quality videos (US$25/month). Our opinion: We like the fact that a lot of videos are based on daily and useful conversation. It’s mainly for beginners and people who want to improve their basic Spanish quickly.
3. The AIB-Network: Spanish for Beginners 101We found that the playlist of videos of the AIB-Network is very helpful for beginners. Covering the most critical issues of pronunciation, verbs, and vocabulary, it’s a good base of starting your career as a Spanish speaker. Also, the videos are in English. Our opinion: We liked the fact that the videos are very well explained, especially the pronunciation part. There’s plenty to learn.
Learn Spanish on Youtube: The Pros & Cons
PRO: Learn Spanish on YouTube is for free and very comfortableWell, it’s obvious you don’t have to spend any money if you want to learn some Spanish on youtube. Also, you can sit on the cozy sofa and watch some videos without leaving your room. That saves you a lot of time! You can easily choose between several channels, pick your favorite topic (grammar, vocabulary, pronunciation). The variety of videos and channels is overwhelming!
CONTRA: No one helps you to get a structure into your learning process.
No doubt: No one can beat youtube concerning the number of videos and free lessons you can find there. But: No one helps you to get a structure into your learning process. It’s like if you want to pick up some needles in a dark room from the floor. It’s hard to find where they are! Same with your Spanish. If you try to learn Spanish on youtube, you will realize pretty quickly that you need some structure, someone who tells you where to start and what to improve. A good, real-life, Spanish teacher will help you to find out where to start and what to learn. He will let you know what to improve and the most important thing: You can have an authentic conversation with her or him. And concerning the costs: Yes, one-to-one Spanish lessons are more expensive, and you have to travel to another place possibly. But: This money is spent wisely.
We often made the experience that the discipline of our students is very high. It’s probably higher than if you’re sitting on your cozy sofa learning Spanish. They know that they paid some money to improve their Spanish. Sometimes the people need that “extra push.”
PRO: There’s everything you need on Youtube to learn Spanish!Ok, that’s true. There’s probably no topic of the Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and vocabulary that isn’t covered by some video on YouTube. There’re thousands and thousands of channels that offer Spanish lessons in different languages. You can watch the video as often as you want, no real teacher would have that patience.
CONTRA: Learning a language ONLY on YouTube doesn’t work!Depending on what type of learner you are, learning Spanish on YouTube is not always the right choice. We made the experience that our students weren’t able to have a simple conversation, although they told us that they learned some Spanish on YouTube before. T
The reason is simple: Learning Spanish on YouTube means it’s almost 100% “one-way input.” No one asks you to speak Spanish, and there’s no need to have an authentic conversation like in real life. You might learn the grammar and the difference between “ser” and “estar”, but that doesn’t mean that you know how to have a real-time conversation.
PRO: Learning Spanish on YouTube is like traveling the world.Somehow that’s true. We love the fact that the internet made the world a bit smaller! It’s amazing what you can find on YouTube, also, about the Spanish language and culture.
It doesn’t matter if you want to find out more about the different accents, the culture, typical food, or how to date a girl in Mexico. It’s all there on YouTube! And we’ve seen excellent videos, probably more entertaining than a boring one-to-one class about “subjunctive”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9EnhRDxub
CONTRA: We must disappoint you, but Youtube is not the real-world!Of course, there’s a contra: We must disappoint you, but Youtube is not real-world! Only if you ever had a conversation with a Spanish speaker with a different accent, only if you have ever made some typical food like pupusas in El Salvador and only if had some small talk with the local fisherman in Costa Rica you will truly understand and experience what the culture in Spanish Spanish countries is all about.
It’s not about what you see and listen to on Youtube; it’s all about the experiences you make.